2 of 10 people who visits my blog use Firefox!

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Eircom league, Weekend results

While most of the attention was focused on Croke Park this weekend there were a number of exciting Eircom League games up for deciding on Friday night and Sunday afternoon

Derry v St Pats 0-1

Derry lost their second game in succession as St Pats continued their great start to the season. Derry had the better of things until Pats took the lead from a corner kick. After that Derry lacked a creative edge and despite Fenlon tinkering with formation and tactics they couldn't find a way back into the game. This was a big win for St Pats as Derry have been extremely strong at home in recent years. Slightly surprising that Derry started the game with such a defensive formation but Fenlon seems to be taking a little time in finding out what his strongest eleven and formation is.

Galway v Drogheda 2-3
Drogheda started this game as you would expect - going 2 nil up after just 27mins and creating chances a plenty. Galway manager Cousins altered his formation a few minutes later and that helped matters for Galway. Then deep in injury time confusion in the Drogheda defence from a Lester free kick led to the ball falling to OFlynn who had no difficulty finishing from close range.Galway were arguably the better team in the second half and levelled things on 78minutes through Murphy. Once again deep injury time Terryland saw another late goal when Zayed managed to steer the ball into the net despite the presence of numerous defenders

Waterford v Bray 1-2
Bray got three points here for the second game in a row - something that hasn't happened that often recently. The first half was goalless with Waterford having a slight edge in terms of possession and chances created. Bray took the lead from a set piece when veteran Tresson rose unmarked to head home. Straight away after the restart they doubled the lead when Fox cooling slipped the ball under the advancing keeper after dispossessing Waterford defender Hedderman. Waterford got one back late on but Bray held out for an important away win

Longford v Sligo 0-1
Longford slumped to their third straight defeat of the season as Sligo turned things on in the second half and deserved the three points. Detailed match report to follow

Shelbourne v Dundalk 0-2
Dundalk continued their 100% start to the season with two goals and a clean sheet at Tolka Park. Dundalk look on course for automatic promotion this time around but had to wait til the second half before they made their dominance count. Last years top scorer Hughes opening the scoring after a neat turn in the box. Dundalk went down to ten men shortly afterwards but that didnt stop them wrapping things up 8 minutes from time when Williams got himself another crucial goal.

Monaghan v Kilkenny 0-2
Kilkenny managed to win a game for the first time in 26 attempts after two pieces of terrible defending on Monaghans behalf cost them dearly.Walsh and Tynan got the goals for Kilkenny. Monaghan did have the better of the first half but wasteful finishing cost them dearly

Limerick 37 v Kildare 2-0
One of the rare home wins this weekend. Limerick 37 continued their good start to the season and still remain unbeaten. Goldbey and Moran got the goals for Limerick. See this link for the goals with some Cranberries music in the background

Cobh v Finn Harps 1-0
Cobh finally got some points after a narrow win over Finn Harps. Cobh took the lead after just ten minutes and held out without too much hassle for the remaining eighty as Harps struggled to create anything worthwhile

Athlone v Wexford 3-0
Wexford were brought back down to earth after their first league win last week by a confident Athlone side that are looking better and better by the week. Full report to follow shortly.

Courtesy of My Irish football blog