2 of 10 people who visits my blog use Firefox!

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

FA to contact Spurs over Fan attack

FA calls incident involving pitch invader 'totally unacceptable'

The Football Association has demanded an explanation from Tottenham Hotspur after two fans ran on to the pitch at White Hart Lane at the end of last night's quarter-final replay against Chelsea - and one of them attempted to punch Frank Lampard.

The FA described the incident as "totally unacceptable" and have asked Spurs to detail the security measures that were in place.

"These scenes were totally unacceptable and we will be contacting Spurs as a matter of priority," said a spokesman. "We want to establish what safety and security provisions were in place for the game and to confirm what action was taken against the fans who ran on to the pitch. We understand that both individuals were arrested and we would expect them to be given football banning orders."

The invader trying to punch Chelsea's Lampard

Lampard managed to dodge the punch before a slew of stewards tamed the fan, but the midfielder spoke of his unease at how close the intruder had been able to get to him.

"I saw the guy coming and wanted to keep my eye on him because if I turn my back, I thought I might get one on me," said Lampard. "I just ducked and the stewards got to him. The way he ran at me I think he'd had a few drinks. I don't think he should have been on the pitch in the first place, but you can understand there's a lot of emotion in a match like this."

The invader was wrestled down!

0 comments: